Frequent Q & A
For any other questions or more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q1. What does Korean Honor Society (KHS) do?
- The Korean Honor Society (KHS) aims to promote interest in the study of Korean, to reward scholastic achievement and to promote an understanding and appreciation of the Korean language, culture and civilization.
- Q2. Chapter application
- Note: We accept applications via email only
2.1 Who is eligible for KHS Chapter?
- All accredited high schools (starting from 9th grade and higher) in North America offering Korean language courses are eligible to establish a Korean Honor Society Chapter.
- Before application, faculty sponsors must become a member of the American Association of Teachers of Korean (AATK) AND the KLTA-USA. Click here for the application forms to join these organizations.
2.2. What needs to be submitted for KHS Chapter application?
- The KHS Chapter application form in WORD which includes a brief report of the Korean language program at your school
- Proof of your membership in the AATK and KLTA-USA (e.g., Copy of the AATK and KLTA membership receipts)
- (Upon notification of acceptance) A payment with one check for $15 payable to the AATK to the address provided in the notification email
- Q3. KHS membership (inductees) application
- Note: We accept applications via email only
3.1 Who is eligible for KHS inductees?
Students who satisfy ALL the following criteria may be nominated for KHS membership:
- A student has completed at least three semesters of Korean with an honor average
- A student has maintained an overall average of 3.5 out of 4.0 (A- or 90%) or above in all Korean language courses including the semester of selection
- A student has maintained a general scholastic GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (B- or 80%) or above for all secondary school credit including the semester of selection
- A student meets additional eligibility requirements that may be set by individual chapters
3.2. What needs to be submitted for KHS membership application?
- Order Form for Certificate which includes a faculty sponsor's signature AND a school principal or designated administrator's signature (Note: Certificates to be distributed at the induction ceremony should be ordered only for NEW inductees in a given year.)
- Copy of a student' transcript
- Copy of the AATK and KLTA membership receipts
- Q4. Can I submit applications anytime?
- We accept applications only in spring semesters. Please refer to the timeline for KHS applications below.
||Submit completed applications for a new KHS chapter and KHS membership online
||Submit a completed application for KHS membership online
||Receive notification of the review results (chapter and membership) via email
||Receive notification of the review results (membership) via email
||Submit chapter and membership fees via mail
||Submit membership fees via mail
||Receive chapter and membership certificates and induction materials via mail
||Receive membership certificates and induction materials via mail
||Submit an annual report online
- Q5. How much is the application fee?
- $15 for KHS Chapter application
- $5 for KHS membership
- KHS cords ($5.50 for each) and pins ($5 for each): These may be ordered at the time of KHS membership application
- Q6. When do we know if we are approved to be a KHS chapter or inductee?
6.1 Chapter approval and certificate
- Once all the required documents for the KHS chapter application are reviewed and the KHS chapter is approved, a notification will be sent via email to a faculty sponsor.
- Upon notification of acceptance, a payment of one check for $15 payable to the AATK should be sent to the address provided in the notification. Payment can be made by check only. After your payment is received, a chapter certificate will be mailed to a faculty sponsor.
- Please allow us a minimum of eight weeks for processing and delivery.
6.2 Inductee approval and honor certificate
- Please note that certificates should be ordered only for new inductees to be distributed at the induction ceremony.
- After the order form of honor certificates in WORD and copy of students' transcripts are reviewed, a faculty sponsor will be notified via email regarding the KHS membership request.
- Upon notification, a payment with one check for the total amount payable to the AATK should be sent to the address provided in the notification. Payment can be made by check only. Official certificates and cords/pins (if applicable) will be mailed to a faculty sponsor upon receipt of the payment.
- Please allow us a minimum of eight weeks for processing and delivery. Be sure to send the order form of honor certificates at least eight weeks before the induction ceremony.
- Q7. Can I order more cords/pins than the number of inductees at the time?
Yes. You may order more than the actual number of the inductees in a given semester.
- Q8. Where can I find more information about the induction ceremony?
Please click here for the sample induction ceremony program and here for the checklist. For a more detailed program sample, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Q9. How can I order the KHS banner?
The KHS banner design will be sent electronically to a faculty sponsor when the KHS memberships are approved and notified via email in April. Each chapter may determine the size of the KHS banner, based on its usage at various occasions, and is responsible for the cost and actual production of the KHS banner.
- Q10. Who is eligible for the KHS Certificate of Excellence? What is the criteria for the Certificate?
A faculty sponsor is to select one candidate per year in accordance with the following criteria and recommend a student for the Certificate in the KHS membership application form:
The faculty sponsor may set additional criteria for the KHS Certificate of Excellence based on his/her school chapter activities and others.
- A candidate should be the current member of the KHS, meeting all the aforementioned criteria listed in Q 3.1.
- A candidate should be a junior or senior in the year of application. No exception shall be allowed in relation to this requirement.
- A candidate should be an exemplary student for his/her excellent leadership and distinguished service given at each Chapter
- Q11. Is there anything that needs to be submitted after the KHS Chapter and membership approval?
Yes. Please complete the annual KHS chapter report in WORD and email the report by June 30 to firstname.lastname@example.org